Many electrical products display UL, CE, EMC, CSA, and ROHS Certifications, but what do they mean?
No one wants to be exposed to electrical malfunctions, fire hazards, and harmful substances so being familiar with these certifications will save you money and unwanted risks.
- Underwriters Laboratories ("UL") - This certification verifies that the products meet (1) safety requirements (i.e., products will not cause casualty, fire or shock), (2) performance requirements (i.e., can it operate in dry or wet location?) (3) regulatory codes, and (4) other standards, including international standards
- European Commission ("CE") - This certifies that the products have met EU health, safety and environmental requirements that ensure consumer and workplace safety
- Electromagnetic Compatibility ("EMC") - This certifies that the device is compatible with its electromagnetic ("EM") environment and it does not emit levels of EM energy that cause electromagnetic interferences ("EMI") with other devices in the vicinity
Canada Standards Association ("CSA") - According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration ("OSHA") regulations, the CSA-US Mark qualifies as an alternative to the UL Mark. The CSA develops standards that enhance public safety. Standards include:
- Canadian Electrical Code, Part III-Outside Wiring
- Electrical Engineering Standards
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive ("RoHS") - This is a comprehensive piece of legislation, meant to restrict the concentration of hazardous substances (i.e., cadmium, lead, mercury, hexavalent chromium, brominated flame retardant groups PBBs and PDBEs, and toxic phthalates such as Bis(2-ethylhexyl), Butyl benzyl, Dibutyl, and Diisobutyl) present in electronic and electrical equipments.
These certifications guarantee that our chandeliers and pendant lights were handcrafted: 1) using the safest materials, and 2) according to the electrical engineering standards.
For more information on home renovation and maintenance tips, please like, share, and subscribe to our monthly newsletter!